Drawn
"We are drawn to the people who are drawn to us."
This really simple idea by a clever author struck me heavily as it made me realize the capacity of humans to become drawn to each other while alienating other members of the species in the process.
A big question mark used to pop in my head when I think about relationships that click and relationships that fail.
This encompasses friendships and romantic relationships.
When people find commonalities within themselves, they immediately bond and friendship ensues.
However, there are some people who cannot seem to find anything to agree upon even if they have been colleagues for the longest time.
Some people find it attractive to pursue the 'intelligent ones' while others prefer being alone and do not care at all whether others find them boring or reclusive.
Then there are others who regard themselves highly and prefer people who may fall in the same category.
When some people do not join the larger group because they prefer doing other things, does it mean they are defying the norm?
If I want to put milk in my coffee and the popular guys want their coffee black, does that make me 'uncool?'
I have been in this situation many times and I have survived them all.
Why would I always follow the mindset of the herd? The majority is not always right. The minority may have some truth in their hands too.
I'd rather be with people who are drawn to the same ideas and opinions than follow the herd and achieve nothing.
I am surprised to find that the two Malaysian fellows share the same mindset that I have.
I am elated to say that in a span of 30 minutes, we were able to open the gates of friendship by employing the principles of openness and trust.
Thanks to that small talk, I have now nurtured the affinity I have with two people who were brought to me by destiny.
I had actually planned to retire as soon as we got back to the hotel. But after 15 minutes of interesting conversation, Pokemon and stupidpig discouraged me from doing so when they expressed their opinion about the conversation. They are actually enjoying the conversation!
I like them both because they do not have to put on masks to conceal their true identity. At least that's my impression of them.
I trust them.
Small talk plus openness and trust equals friendship. Now that's an achievement!
We may not see each other anymore after the program, but who knows? Destiny may bring us back together in another situation.
I would like to believe that tonight, we have fulfilled a small part of our destiny.
Tonight, the affinity was sealed.
Jenny/09/06/2006
星期六
订阅:
博文评论 (Atom)
没有评论:
发表评论